To be a trusted and respected voice on the significance of Australia’s natural and cultural heritage to encourage a greater understanding of our world.
The South Australian Museum is dedicated to the conservation and study of nature and culture for the benefit and enjoyment of current and future generations. We advance knowledge through scientific research derived from collections to support life-long learning in our community. We contribute to the global understanding of human cultures and the natural world.
- care for and enhance our collections;
- ensure our collections are accessible to the public;
- provide opportunity for study, education and enjoyment;
- ensure that world-class research on our natural and cultural heritage is undertaken and communicated, to create and share knowledge; and
- provide agile and relevant public programs responsive to current and topical natural and cultural history issues.