Synchotron Researcher Mineral Sciences
+61 8 8207 7659
After graduating with a PhD in condensed matter physics from the University of Western Australia in 1998 and undertaking a three-year postdoctoral position at the Tokyo Institute of Technology (1998–2000), Barbara moved to Adelaide in 2000 to take up a postdoctoral position with Allan Pring in Mineralogy at the Museum. Subsequently, she has oscillated between employment at the South Australian Museum, CSIRO and the University of Adelaide. Barbara has spent most of the time based at the Museum working with Allan Pring and Joel Brugger studying the formation of ore deposits and mineral replacement reactions.
Position at Other Organisation
Affiliate with Chemical Engineering, University of Adelaide
The relationship between the atomic structure and properties of materials and their applications to Earth Sciences.
Current Research Projects
Studying the formation of ore deposits – effect of temperature, pressure and composition on the nature of metal complexes in solutions.
Studying hydrothermal mineral replacement reactions.
BSc (Hons), University of Western Australia (1992)
PhD, University of Western Australia (1998)
- Tooth, B., Etschmann, B., Pokrovski, G., Testemale, D., Hazemann, J.-L., Grundler, P., and Brugger, J. Bismuth speciation in hydrothermal fluids: an X-ray absorption spectroscopy and solubility study. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. TRaX 240. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2012.10.020
- Tian, Y., Etschmann, B., Liu, W., Borg, S., Mei, Y., Testemale, D., O’Neill, B., Rae, N., Sherman, D., Ngothai, Y., Johannessen, B, Glover, C., and Brugger, J. Speciation of nickel(II) chloride complexes in hydrothermal fluids: in situ XAS study. Chemical Geology. TRaX #244.
- G. Cornelis, B. Etschmann, T. Van Gerven, C. Vandecasteele. (2012). Mechanisms and modelling of antimonate leaching in hydrated cement paste suspensions. Cement and Concrete Research 42: 1307–1316.
- Borg, S, Liu, W., Etschmann, B., Tian, Y., and Brugger, J. (2012). An XAS study of molybdenum speciation in hydrothermal chloride solutions from 15-400 ˚C and 600 bar. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 92: 292–307. TRaX #225. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2012.06.001.
- Brugger, J., Etschmann, B., Grundler, P., Liu, W., Testemale, D., and Pring, A. (2012). XAS evidence for the stability of polytellurides in hydrothermal fluids up to 599 ˚C, 800 bar. American Mineralogist 97: 1519–1522. TRaX 226
- Liu, W., Borg, S., Etschmann, B., Mei, Y., and Brugger, J. (2012). An XAS study of speciation and thermodynamic properties of aqueous zinc bromide complexes at 25-150 ˚C. Chemical Geology 298-299: 57–69. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2011.12.018. TRaX #201.
- Cook, Ciobanu, Brugger, J., Etschmann, B., Howard, de Jonge, Ryan, and Paterson (2012). Determination of the oxidation state of Cu in substituted Cu-In-Fe-bearing sphalerite via u-XANES spectroscopy. American Mineralogist 97: 476–479.
- Etschmann, B. E., Black, J., Grundler, P., Borg, S., Brewe, D., McPhail, D.C., Spiccia, L., and Brugger, J. (2011). Copper(I) speciation in mixed thiosulfate-chloride and ammonia-chloride solutions: XAS and UU-Visible spectroscopic studies. RSC Advances, 1(8): 1554–1566.
- Reith, F., Etschmann, B., Dart, R., Brewe, D. L., Vogt, S., Schmidt Mumm, A., and Brugger, J. (2011). Distribution and speciation of gold in biogenic and abiogenic carbonates – implications for the formation of gold-anomalous calcrete. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 75(7): 1942–1956.
- Liu, W., Borg, S., Testemale, D., Etschmann, B., Hazemann, J.-L., and Brugger, J. (2011). Speciation and thermodynamic properties for cobalt chloride complexes in hydrothermal fluids: an XAS study. Geochimica Cosmochima Acta 75(5): 1227–1248. TRaX #114.