Honorary Research Associate Entomology
+61 8 8207 7506
After obtaining his PhD in 1960 from Cornell University, USA, Eric was on the staff of the University of Puerto Rico. He came to the Museum in 1970 from CSIRO in Canberra where he worked in the dung beetle introduction programme on a Fulbright Fellowship. Eric was Assistant Curator, then Curator of insects at the South Australian Museum, retiring in 2000. He has 61 scientific publications, including the eight-part series ‘Guides to the Genera of Beetles of South Australia’ (see images at bottom of the page).
Taxonomy of Tenebrionidae and Scarabaeidae (Coleoptera).
Current Research Projects
Writing three chapters for a forthcoming three-volume work entitled Australian Beetles, published and funded by the CSIRO Canberra over the next three years. Co-authors involved are Dr Alberto Ballerio, Museo Civico di Scienze Naturali, Bergamo, Italy, Dr Owen Seeman, Queensland Museum and Dr Patrice Bouchard, Canadian National Collection of Insects, Ottawa, Canada.
Awards & Achievements
- Whitley Book Award 2009 for the book Tenebrionid Beetles of Australia.
- PhD, Cornell University, USA (1960)
- Matthews, E. G. (2012). Australian Alleculinae: New genera, new combinations, and a lectotype designation (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Psyche 2012:1–5.
- Matthews, E. G. and Monteith, G. B. (2010). Monteithium storeyi, a new species of Adeliini (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) from the wet tropics of Queensland, Australia. Australian Entomologist 36:4: 20–206.
- Matthews, E. G., Lawrence, J. F., Bouchard, P., Steiner, W. E. Jr and Slipinski, S. A. (2010). ‘Family Tenebrionidae’ in Beutel, R. G. and Leschen, R. A. B. (eds) Handbook of Zoology. A Natural History of the Phyla of the Animal Kingdom. Volume IV – Arthropoda: Insecta. Part 38. Coleoptera, Beetles. Volume 2: Systematics. Part 2, pp 574–659. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.
- Matthews, E. G. and Bouchard, P. (2008). Tenebrionid Beetles of Australia: Descriptions of tribes, keys to genera, catalogue of species. Australian Biological Resources Study, Canberra. viii + 398 pp.
- Matthews, E. G. and Lawrence, J. F. (2005). New taxa, new synonymy and new generic records for Australian Tenebrionidae (Coleoptera). Annales Zoologici (Warszawa), 55: 531–547.
- Matthews, E. G. and Bouchard, P. (2005). Australian Faunal Directory. Checklist for Tenebrionidae (Coleoptera). http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/abrs/online-resources/fauna/afd/TENEBRIONIDAE/tree.html
- Matthews, E. G. (2004). New synonymy and new names in Australian Tenebrionidae (Coleoptera). Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia 128: 261.
- Matthews, E. G. (2003). Ulomotypus Broun a member of the new subfamily Palorinae, with remarks on Aphtora Bates and Demtrius Broun (Coleoptera, Tenebrionidae). New Zealand Entomologist 26: 7–14.
- Matthews, E. G. (2003). Aoupinia, a remarkable new genus of Adeliini from New Caledonia (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Memoirs of the Queensland Museum 49: 441–445.
- Matthews, E. G. (2003). Selection of types of Australian Heleini from the collection of F. di Breme (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Museo Regionale di Scienze naturali di Torino, Bollettino 20:119 – 134.