Research Scientist in Archaeology
+61 8 8207 7402; mobile: 0447201272
Keryn joined the Museum in 2006. Prior to her appointment, she lectured in the Archaeology Department, Flinders University and undertook commercial archaeology projects.
Position at Other Organisation
- Senior Research Fellow, Humanities, Flinders University
Archaeology; taphonomy; Aboriginal contact archaeology history; palaeoecology; quaternary studies.
Current Research Projects
Koonalda Cave Ancient Flint Mining and Art. K. Walshe, Robert Zlot, Mike Bosse and George Poropat (CSIRO). Unlocking Australia’s Potential - Inspiring Australia Program, Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education, $40,000.
Archaeology of Adelaide’s Early Settlement. K. Walshe. Your Community Heritage Program, Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities Grant, $23,000.
Roonka: Episodic Life and Death. K. Walshe, J. Littleton (University of Auckland), A. Durband (University of Texas), A. Katzenberg (University of Calgary), H. Allen (University of Auckland) and D. Pate (Flinders University). Grant application in process.
Cooper’s Dune, Dempsey’s Lake: Quaternary Occupation. K. Walshe and G. Prideaux (Flinders University). Grant application in process.
Kangaroo Island Archaeology. K. Walshe. Funded through contract activity.
Awards & Achievements
- Senior Research Fellow, Humanities, Flinders University
President, Anthropological Society of South Australia
Member, Australian Archaeology Association
Member, Museums Australia
Member, Quaternary Australasia
PhD, Department of Anthropology and Archaeology, Australian National University (1996)
Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Education, Flinders University (2002)
Current Teaching Responsibilities
At Flinders University:
‘Laboratory Archaeology- faunal analysis’ 2 hour workshop, hosted Master’s Class in Rock Art at Hindmarsh Archaeology Store, South Australian Museum (ARCH 2107)
‘The Museum’- collections and research, 5 day intensive (ARCH 8402)
‘The Museum’- osteology, 5 day intensive (ARCH 8408)
‘Archaeology Activities at South Australian Museum’, presentation to Books and Words, Yankalilla District Council.
‘Aboriginal Coastal Sites, Fleurieu Peninsula’, workshop for NRM Board (Rural Solutions).
‘Indigenous watercraft of the Fleureiu Peninsula’ presentation to NAWI conference, hosted by Australian National Maritime Museum
‘Archaeology of the New Royal Adelaide Hospital Site’ presentation and display for History Trust SA, ‘About Time’ History Festival, hosted at Hindmarsh Store, South Australian Museum.
‘Archaeology of the Adelaide Gaol and other activities at South Australian Museum’, presentation for History Trust SA, ‘About Time’ History Festival, hosted by Marion City Council.
Induction on ‘Cultural Heritage Awareness’ for Trustpower Pty Ltd staff, Snowtown Wind Farm.
‘Indigenous watercraft of the Fleurieu Peninsula’ presentation to Friends of South Australian Museum’.
Workshop for Australian Rock Art candidates, Archaeology Store, South Australian Museum
‘Assessing the Scientific Value of Archaeological Collections’ Presentation and workshop to the National Museums Australia Conference, Adelaide.
‘Current Archaeological Research at South Australian Museum’. Seminar to Department of Archaeology, Flinders University.
‘Archaeology of Adelaide’s Early Settlement’ lecture hosted by History Trust SA and University South Australia.
‘Archaeology of Early Adelaide’, presentation to Lyceum Club, Adelaide.
Archaeology; Aboriginal heritage and culture; Aboriginal history; osteology; faunal material in archaeological sites; taphonomy; caves and ancient occupation.
Walshe, K. ( in press). Archaeological evidence for a sealer’s and wallaby hunter’s skinning site on Kangaroo Island, South Australia. Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology.
- Walshe, K. (in press September 2013). ‘Archaeology and the emergence of different fields: Environmental’ in Smith, C. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology. New York: Springer.
- Walshe, K. (2012). Awls made from the ulna bone of Capridae during early settlement of Adelaide, South Australia. Journal of the Anthropological Society of South Australia 36: 12–25.
- Walshe, K. (2012). Port Augusta hearth site dated to 40,000 years. Australian Archaeology 74:106–110.
- Popelka-Filcoff, R. S., Lenehan, C. E., Walshe, K., Bennett, J. W., Stopic, A., Pring, A., Quinton, J. S., and Durham, A. (2012). Characterisation of ochre sources in South Australia by Neutron Activation Analysis (NAA). Journal of the Anthropological Society of South Australia 35: 81–90. Special Edition, Archaeological Science.
- Popelka-Filcoff, R. S., Lenehan, C. E., Glascock, M. D., Bennett, J. W., Stopic, A., Quinton, J. S., Pring, A., and Walshe, K. (2012). Evaluation of relative comparator and k0-NAA for characterization of Aboriginal Australian ochre. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 291: 19–24.
- Walshe, K. (2011). ‘Between a box and a hard shelf is an interesting sample of lithics’ in Smith, C. H. F. and Murray, T. (eds.) Caring for our Collection, papers from the symposium ‘Developing sustainable, strategic collection management approaches for archaeological assemblages’, pp. 39–48. Melbourne: Museum of Victoria and LaTrobe University.
- Walshe, K. (2011). Past and present status of Aboriginal Archaeology in South Australia: collecting, excavating, recording and collections since 1880. Issues in South Australian Aboriginal Archaeology. Special Edition. Journal of the Anthropological Society of South Australia 34: 1–20.
- Pate, F. D., Roberts, A., Walshe, K., and Owen, T. (2011). Stable isotopic analysis of indigenous skeletal remains from Blanchetown Bridge, South Australia. Issues in South Australian Aboriginal Archaeology. Special Edition. Journal of the Anthropological Society of South Australia 34:90–99.
- Roberts, A and Walshe K. (editors) (2011). Issues in South Australian Aboriginal Archaeology. Special Edition. Journal of the Anthropological Society of South Australia 34: 1–100.