Senior Collection Manager Parasitology
+61 8 8207 7302
Leslie came to Australia from Canada in 1995 for a PhD at the University of Queensland (1995–1997) in marine parasitology. Between then and her appointment at the Museum, she was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Queensland and then at the University of Adelaide working on parasites of sharks and stingrays. Leslie became Collection Manager for Parasitology at the Museum in October 2008 and was promoted to Senior Collection Manager for Parasitology in January 2018.
Position at Other Organisation
- Affliliate Research Associate in the Marine Parasitology Laboratory in the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences at The University of Adelaide
Leslie is a specialist on the taxonomy and biology flatworm parasites infecting sharks and stingrays and has described 41 new species and 3 new genera. She has expertise in rearing minute monogenean larvae to explore their hatching strategies and infection biology. She is often consulted by public aquaria for advice on identification and eradication of monogeneans infecting sharks and rays.
Current Research Projects
A survey of the elasmobranchs and their metazoan parasites of Malaysian and Indonesian Borneo. J. N. Caira (University of Connecticut, USA), K. Jensen (University of Kansas, USA), P. Last (CSIRO) and G. J. P. Naylor (University of Florida, USA) with L. A. Chisholm and I. D. Whittington among several international collaborators. 2008–, United States National Science Foundation’s Biotic Surveys and Inventories Program.
Awards & Achievements
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC) Postgraduate Research Scholarship; tenure at University of Queensland (UQ) (1995–1996)
- UQ Overseas Postgraduate Research Scholarship (1995–1997)
- Jean Gilmore/Thenie Baddams Special Grant (1995)
- Best Student Talk. Australian Society for Parasitology Conference (1995)
- Department of Parasitology, UQ Research Scholarship (1997)
- UQ Postgraduate Research Scholarship (1997)
- NSERC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship; tenure at UQ (1998–1999)
- University of Adelaide, Faculty of Science Overseas Conference Travel Award (2003 and 2005)
- ARC/NHMRC Research Network for Parasitology Researcher Exchange award to travel to Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas del Noroeste in La Paz, México (2006)
- Editor, Ichthyoparasitology Newsletter
- BSc (Hons), University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada (1985)
- MSc, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada (1988)
- PhD, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia (1997)
Flatworm parasites of sharks and stingrays.
- Chisholm, L. A. (2013). Septesinus gibsoni n. g., n. sp. (Monocotylidae: Heterocotylinae), from the gills of Himantura walga (Dasyatidae) off Sarawak, Borneo. Systematic Parasitology 84: 255–264.
- Chisholm, L. A. and Whittington, I. D. (2012). Three new species of Merizocotyle Cerfontaine, 1894 (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) from the nasal tissues of dasyatid rays collected off Malaysian and Indonesian Borneo. Systematic Parasitology 82: 167–176.
- Portes Santos, C, Santos, A. L., Cunha, R., and Chisholm, L. A. (2012). A new species of Heterocotyle Scott, 1904 (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) from the gills of Dasyatis guttata (Dasyatidae) in southwestern Atlantic waters off Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Systematic Parasitology 81: 65–70.
- Vaughan, D. B. and Chisholm, L. A. (2011). Amendment of Pseudoleptobothrium Young, 1967 (Monogenea, Microbothriidae) with the description of Pseudoleptobothrium christisoni sp. nov. from the dermal denticles of Rhinobatos annulatus (Rhinobatidae) off the southern tip of Africa. Acta Parasitologica 56: 280–289.
- Vaughan, D. B. and Chisholm, L. A. (2010). A new species of Neoheterocotyle Hargis, 1955 (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) off the gills of Rhinobatos annulatus Müller & Henle (Rhinobatidae) from the southern tip of Africa. Systematic Parasitology 77: 205–213.
- Theiss, S. M., Kyne, P. M., and Chisholm, L. A. (2010). Distribution of the porcupine ray Urogymnus asperrimus (Bloch & Schneider, 1801) in Australian waters, with new records from Queensland. Memoirs of the Queensland Museum: Nature 55: 101–105.
- Vaughan, D. B. and Chisholm, L. A. (2010). Heterocotyle tokoloshei sp. nov. (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) from the gills of Dasyatis brevicaudata (Dasyatidae) kept in captivity at Two Oceans Aquarium, Cape Town, South Africa: description and notes on treatment. Acta Parasitologica 55: 108–114.
- Vaughan, D. B. and Chisholm, L. A. (2009). Three Dendromonocotyle species (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) reported from captive rays, including D. lotteri sp. n. from Himantura gerrardi (Elasmobranchii: Dasyatidae) in the public aquarium at the Atlantis resort, Dubai. Folia Parasitologica 56: 99–106.
- Perkins, E. M., Donnellan, S. C, Bertozzi, T., Chisholm, L. A. and Whittington, I. D. (2009). Looks can deceive: Molecular phylogeny of a family of flatworm ectoparasites (Monogenea: Capsalidae) does not reflect current morphological classification. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 52: 705–714.
- Chisholm, L. A. and Whittington, I. D. (2009). Dendromonocotyle urogymni sp. nov. (Monogenea, Monocotylidae) from Urogymnus asperrimus (Elasmobranchii, Dasyatidae) off eastern Australia. Acta Parasitologica 54: 113–118.