Research Scientist – Bioinformatics Evolutionary Biology Unit
+61 8 8313 3925
Position at Other Organisation
Affiliate lecturer, Department of Genetics and Evolution, School of Biological Sciences, University of Adelaide
The overarching principle behind my work is to gain an understanding of why genomes are organised the way they are, how they evolve and how they differ between organisms. I use computational methods to analyse high-throughput genome and gene transcript sequence data to address evolutionary questions more comprehensively. In collaboration with researchers from a number of universities and other research organisations, my current projects involve novel methods for the development of phylogenetic markers, increasing the robustness of phylogenetic datasets and studying the evolution of genes and repetitive genome elements.
Current Research Projects
Adaptation to life in the dark: genomic analyses of blind beetles. S. Cooper, A. Austin, T. Bertozzi and W. Humphreys. 2018. ARC Discovery $317,000
Unravelling the taxonomy and identification of a problematic group of fishes across northern Australia (Gobidae: Glossogobius). M. Hammer, T. Bertozzi and D. Hoese. 2017. Australian Biological Resources Study, Bush Blitz Tactical Taxonomy Grant Scheme $16,000.
- Member, The Australian Bioinformatics And Computational Biology Society Inc.
- Member, Society of Australian Systematic Biologists
BSc, University of Adelaide (1989)
BSc (Hons), University of Adelaide (1990)
PhD, University of Adelaide (2003)
Langille B, Bertozzi T, Tierney S, Humphreys W, Austin A, Cooper S. (2017) Molecular evolution of ‘eye genes’ in blind beetles – evidence for neutral evolution of phototransduction genes. Systematics 2017, November 27-29, Adelaide, Australia.
Stringer DN, Bertozzi T, Guzik MT, Tierney SM, King RA, Meusemann K, Mayer C, Zwick A, Cooper SJB, Austin AD. (2017) Taxonomy and sequence capture of Haloniscus isopods from threatened arid zone groundwater habitats. Systematics 2017, November 27-29, Adelaide, Australia.
Zeng L, Kortschak RD, Raison JM, Bertozzi T, Adelson DL (2017) Superior de novo Identification, Annotation and Characterisation of TEs and Segmental Duplications from Genome Assemblies. The Mobile Genome: Genetic and Physiological Impacts of Transposable Elements, October 11 – 14, Heidelberg, Germany.
Ivancevic AM, Kortschak RD, Bertozzi T, Adelson DL (2017) Horizontal Transfer of BovB and L1 Retrotransposons across the tree of life. The Mobile Genome: Genetic and Physiological Impacts of Transposable Elements, October 11 – 14, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Zeng L, Kortschak RD, Raison JM, Bertozzi T, Adelson DL. (2017). Superior ab initio identification, annotation and characterisation of TEs and segmental duplications from genome assemblies. bioRxiv (Open access)
- Ivancevic AM, Kortschak RD, Bertozzi T, Adelson DL. (2017). Re-evaluating inheritance in genome evolution: widespread transfer of LINEs between species. bioRxiv (Open access)
- Mobaseri M, Pedram M, Pourjam E, Bertozzi T. (2017). Description of a new species of seed-gall nematode, Anguina obesa n. sp. (Nematoda: Anguinidae) from northern Iran, and its phylogenetic relations with other species and genera. European Journal of Plant Pathology 148, 423-434
- Ivancevic, AM, Kortschak, RD, Bertozzi T, Adelson, DL. (2016). LINEs between species: Evolutionary dynamics of LINE-1 retrotransposons across the eukaryotic tree of life Genome Biology and Evolution 8, 3301–3322.
- Javidkar M, Cooper SJB, King RA, Humphreys WF, Bertozzi T, Stevens MI, Austin AD. (2106). Molecular systematics and biodiversity of oniscidean isopods in the groundwater calcretes of central Western Australia. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 104, 83–98.
- Bertozzi T, Lee MSY, Donnellan SC. (2016). Stingray diversification across the end-Cretaceous extinctions. Memoirs of Museum Victoria 74, 379–390 (Open access)
- Cope TM, Bertozzi T, Mulder RA, Donnellan SC. (2016). Isolation and characterisation of 12 polymorphic microsatellite loci for the threatened mound-building malleefowl, Leipoa ocellata (Aves: Megapodiidae). Australian Journal of Zoology 64, 33–35.
- Hammer MP, Hoese DF, Bertozzi T. (2015). A new species of Near-shore Marine Goby (Pisces: Gobiidae: Nesogobius) from Kangaroo Island, Australia. Zootaxa 4057, 371–884.
- Ansari TH, Bertozzi T, Miller RD, Gardner MG. (2015). MHC in a monogamous lizard - characterization of Class I MHC genes in the Australian skink Tiliqua rugosa. Developmental and Comparative Immunology 53, 320-327.
- Donnellan SC, Foster R, Junge C, Huveneers C, Rogers P, Kilian A, Bertozzi T. (2015). Fiddling with the proof: the magpie fiddler ray is a colour pattern variant of the common southern fiddler ray (Rhinobatidae: Trygonorrhina). Zootaxa 3981, 367–384.
PERL script for generating anonymous nuclear markers from high-throughput genome sequence (referenced in Bertozzi et al. 2012. Bioinformatics 28: 1807–1810).
A list of my published analysis scripts organised by publication can be found here