Research Scientist – Bioinformatics Evolutionary Biology Unit
+61 8 8313 3925
Position at Other Organisation
Affiliate lecturer, Department of Genetics and Evolution, School of Biological Sciences, University of Adelaide
The overarching principle behind my work is to gain an understanding of why genomes are organised the way they are, how they evolve and how they differ between organisms. I use computational methods to analyse high-throughput genome and gene transcript sequence data to address evolutionary questions more comprehensively. In collaboration with researchers from a number of universities and other research organisations, my current projects involve novel methods for the development of phylogenetic markers, increasing the robustness of phylogenetic datasets and studying the evolution of genes and repetitive genome elements.
Current Research Projects
Evolutionary relationships and genome architecture of an enigmatic group of parasitic marine worms. S. R. Catalano, T. Bertozzi, S. C. Donnellan. 2014. Sir Mark Mitchell Research Foundation, $5,200.
Creating valuable genomic resources to study natural variation in sharks. C. Junge and T. Bertozzi. 2014, Sir Mark Mitchell Research Foundation, $7,000.
Taxonomic resolution of Australia’s threatened bat species. K. Armstrong, S. C. Donnellan, K. Helgen, S. Rossiter, T. Reardon and T. Bertozzi. 2011/12–2013/14, Australian Biological Resources Study, $270,000.
Member, Australasian Genomics Technologies Association (AMATA)
Member, International Society for Computational Biology
Member, Society of Australian Systematic Biologists
BSc, University of Adelaide (1989)
BSc (Hons), University of Adelaide (1990)
PhD, University of Adelaide (2003)
Brazenor, A.K., Bertozzi, T., Miller, T.L., Whittington, I.D. and Hutson, K.S. (2015). Cryptic capsalids: is Neobenedenia melleni (Capsalidae: Monogenea) really the culprit in global aquaculture? 3rd Australasian Scientific Conference on Aquatic Animal Health, July 6-11 Cairns, Australia
Hyde, J., Cooper, S., Humphreys, W., Karanovic, T., Bertozzi, T., Munguia, P. and Austin, A. (2015). Subterranean pool party: Trophic links between subterranean invertebrates in a groundwater ecosystem. Annual Genetics Society of AustralAsia conference, July 5-8, Adelaide, Australia.
Hutson, K.S., Brazenor, A.K., Bertozzi, T., Miller, T.L., Trujillo-González, A., Dinh Hoai, T., Militz, T.A. and Whittington, I.D. (2015). Five intriguing characteristics of the harmful fish parasite Neobenedenia girellae, New Zealand Society for Parasitology and Australian Society for Parasitology Annual Conference, Jun 29 – July 2, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Donnellan, S.C., Foster, R., Junge, C., Huveneers, C., Rogers, P., Kilian, A. and Bertozzi, T. (2015). Fiddling with the proof: the magpie fiddler ray is a colour pattern variant of the common southern fiddler ray (Rhinobatidae: Trygonorrhina). Zootaxa 3981, 367–384.
- Catalano, S.R., Whittington, I.D., Donnellan, S.C., Bertozzi, T. and Gillanders, B.M. (2015). First comparative insight into the architecture of COI mitochondrial minicircle molecules of dicyemids reveals marked inter-species variation. Parasitology 142, 1066-1079.
- Ansari, T. H., Bertozzi, T., Hacking, J., Cooper, S.J.B. and Gardner, M.G. (2015). Random non-coding fragments of lizard DNA: anonymous nuclear loci for the Australian skink, Tiliqua rugosa, and their utility in other Egernia-group species. Australian Journal of Zoology 62, 515-518.
- Tierney, S.M., Cooper, S.J.B., Saint, K.M., Bertozzi, T., Hyde, J., Humphreys, W.F., Austin, A.D. (2015). Opsin transcripts of predatory diving beetles: a comparison of surface and subterranean photic niches. Royal Society Open Science 2, 140386.
- Sistrom, M. J., Hutchinson, M., Bertozzi, T., and Donnellan, S. C. (2014). Evaluating evolutionary history in the face of high gene tree discordance in Australian Gehyra (Reptilia: Gekkonidae). Heredity 113: 52-63.
- Izzo, C., Bertozzi, T., Donnellan, S. C., and Gillanders, B. M. (2014). Variation in telomere length of the common carp, Cyprinus carpio (cyprinidae) in relation to body length. Copeia 2014(1): 87-94.
- Barnes, T. C., Izzo, C., Bertozzi, T., Saint, K. M., Donnellan, S. C., Hammer, M. P., and Gillanders, B. M. (2014). Development of 15 microsatellite loci from mulloway, Agyrosomus japonicus (Pisces: Sciaenidae) using next generation sequencing and an assessment of their cross amplification in other sciaenids. Conservation Genetics Resources 6: 355-348.
- Sanders, K. L., Lee, M. S. Y., Mumpuni, Bertozzi, T., and Rasmussen, A. R. (2013). Multilocus phylogeny and recent rapid radiation of the viviparous sea snakes (Elapidae: Hydrophiinae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 66: 575–591.
- Walsh, A. M., Kortschak, R. D., Gardner, M. G., Bertozzi, T., and Adelson, D. L. (2013). Widespread Horizontal Transfer of Retrotransposons. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110: 1012–1016.
- Bertozzi, T., Sanders, K. L., Sistrom, M. J., and Gardner, M. G. (2012). Anonymous nuclear loci in non-model organisms: making the most of high throughput genome surveys. Bioinformatics 28: 1807–1810.
PERL script for generating anonymous nuclear markers from high-throughput genome sequence (referenced in Bertozzi et al. 2012. Bioinformatics 28: 1807–1810).
A list of my published analysis scripts organised by publication can be found here