Research Scientist – Bioinformatics Evolutionary Biology Unit
+61 8 8313 3925
Position at Other Organisation
Affiliate lecturer, Department of Genetics and Evolution, School of Biological Sciences, University of Adelaide
The overarching principle behind my work is to gain an understanding of why genomes are organised the way they are, how they evolve and how they differ between organisms. I use computational methods to analyse high-throughput genome and gene transcript sequence data to address evolutionary questions more comprehensively. In collaboration with researchers from a number of universities and other research organisations, my current projects involve novel methods for the development of phylogenetic markers, increasing the robustness of phylogenetic datasets and studying the evolution of genes and repetitive genome elements.
Current Research Projects
Evolutionary relationships and genome architecture of an enigmatic group of parasitic marine worms. S. R. Catalano, T. Bertozzi, S. C. Donnellan. 2014. Sir Mark Mitchell Research Foundation, $5,200.
Creating valuable genomic resources to study natural variation in sharks. C. Junge and T. Bertozzi. 2014, Sir Mark Mitchell Research Foundation, $7,000.
Taxonomic resolution of Australia’s threatened bat species. K. Armstrong, S. C. Donnellan, K. Helgen, S. Rossiter, T. Reardon and T. Bertozzi. 2011/12–2013/14, Australian Biological Resources Study, $270,000.
Member, Australasian Genomics Technologies Association (AMATA)
Member, International Society for Computational Biology
Member, Society of Australian Systematic Biologists
BSc, University of Adelaide (1989)
BSc (Hons), University of Adelaide (1990)
PhD, University of Adelaide (2003)
Tierney, S.M., Hyde, J., Guzik, M.T., Saint, K.M., Bertozzi, T., Friedrich, M., Humphreys, W.F., Austin, A.D. and Cooper, S.J.B. (2013). Vision related transcriptomics of stygobitic and surface-dwelling water beetles. Systematics without Borders Conference, December 1-6, Sydney, Australia.
Javidkar, M., Cooper, S.J.B., King, R.A., Humphreys, W.F., Bertozzi, T. and Austin, A.D. (2013). Molecular Systematics and Diversification of Oniscidean Troglofauna (Isopoda) in Groundwater Calcretes of Central Western Australia. The 44th AGM and Scientific Conference of the Australian Entomological Society, September 29 – October 2, Adelaide, Australia.
Bertozzi, T., Wiewel, A. S., Donnellan, S. C., and Aplin, K.P. (2013). Close enough is good enough; using mouse resources to study rats. Biodiversity Genomics Conference, April 2–5, Canberra, Australia.
- Ansari, T. H., Bertozzi, T., Hacking, J., Cooper, S.J.B. and Gardner, M.G. (2015). Random non-coding fragments of lizard DNA: anonymous nuclear loci for the Australian skink, Tiliqua rugosa, and their utility in other Egernia-group species. Australian Journal of Zoology 62, 515-518.
- Tierney, S.M., Cooper, S.J.B., Saint, K.M., Bertozzi, T., Hyde, J., Humphreys, W.F., Austin, A.D. (2015). Opsin transcripts of predatory diving beetles: a comparison of surface and subterranean photic niches. Royal Society Open Science 2, 140386.
- Sistrom, M. J., Hutchinson, M., Bertozzi, T., and Donnellan, S. C. (2014). Evaluating evolutionary history in the face of high gene tree discordance in Australian Gehyra (Reptilia: Gekkonidae). Heredity 113: 52-63.
- Izzo, C., Bertozzi, T., Donnellan, S. C., and Gillanders, B. M. (2014). Variation in telomere length of the common carp, Cyprinus carpio (cyprinidae) in relation to body length. Copeia 2014(1): 87-94.
- Barnes, T. C., Izzo, C., Bertozzi, T., Saint, K. M., Donnellan, S. C., Hammer, M. P., and Gillanders, B. M. (2014). Development of 15 microsatellite loci from mulloway, Agyrosomus japonicus (Pisces: Sciaenidae) using next generation sequencing and an assessment of their cross amplification in other sciaenids. Conservation Genetics Resources 6: 355-348.
- Sanders, K. L., Lee, M. S. Y., Mumpuni, Bertozzi, T., and Rasmussen, A. R. (2013). Multilocus phylogeny and recent rapid radiation of the viviparous sea snakes (Elapidae: Hydrophiinae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 66: 575–591.
- Walsh, A. M., Kortschak, R. D., Gardner, M. G., Bertozzi, T., and Adelson, D. L. (2013). Widespread Horizontal Transfer of Retrotransposons. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110: 1012–1016.
- DeBoo, M. L., Bertozzi, T., Donnellan, S. C., and Mahony, M. J. (2012). Development of eight microsatellite loci from the Green and Golden Bell Frog (Litoria aurea) through GS-FLX pyrosequencing and cross-amplification with other species of the Litoria aurea species group. Conservation Genetics Resources 4: 1003–1005.
- Donnellan, S. C., Mahony, M. J., and Bertozzi, T. (2012). A new species of Pseudophryne (Anura: Myobatrachidae) from the central Australian ranges. Zootaxa 3476: 69–85.
- Bertozzi, T., Sanders, K. L., Sistrom, M. J., and Gardner, M. G. (2012). Anonymous nuclear loci in non-model organisms: making the most of high throughput genome surveys. Bioinformatics 28: 1807–1810.
PERL script for generating anonymous nuclear markers from high-throughput genome sequence (referenced in Bertozzi et al. 2012. Bioinformatics 28: 1807–1810).
A list of my published analysis scripts organised by publication can be found here