Facility Manager, South Australian Regional Facility for Molecular Ecology and Evolution Evolutionary Biology Unit
+61 8 8313 5854
Kathy came to Adelaide in 1997 to take up a three year Australian Research Council-funded research position in the Evolutionary Biology Unit (EBU) with Steve Donnellan and Mark Hutchinson to study the phylogeny of Australian agamid and gekkonoid lizards. She was recruited back in 2001 to manage the molecular laboratories in EBU at The Science Centre as well as to work with Steve Cooper on his research projects focusing on phylogeography and speciation. In 2002 the molecular laboratories moved to the University of Adelaide where Kathy was promoted to Facility Manager which has become the South Australian Regional Facility for Molecular Ecology and Evolution (SARFMEE).
BSc, University of British Columbia (1978)
Current Teaching Responsibilities
Currently inducts and teaches PhD and Honours students in molecular techniques within the SARFMEE laboratories.
- Cooper S. J .B., Harvey M. S., Saint K. M., and Main, B. Y. (2011). Deep phylogeographic structuring of populations of the trapdoor spider Moggridgea (Migidae) from south-western Australia: evidence for long-term refugia within refugia. Molecular Ecology 20(15): 3219–3236.
- Kemper C. M., Cooper, S. J. B., Medlin, G., Adams, M., Stemmer, D., Saint, K. M., McDowell, M. C., and Austin, J. J. (2011). Cryptic grey-bellied dunnart (Sminthopsis griseoventer) discovered in South Australia: genetic, morphological and subfossil analysis show the value of collecting voucher material. Australian Journal of Zoology 59: 1–18.
- Kawakami T., Butlin R. K., Adams M., Saint K. M., Paull D. J., and Cooper, S. J. (2009). Re-examination of a proposed case of stasipatric speciation: phylogeography of the Australian morobine grasshoppers (Vandiemenella viatica species group). Molecular Ecology 18(16): 3429–3442.
- Joseph L., Dolman G., Donnellan S., Saint K. M., Berg, M. L., and Bennett, A. T. (2008). Where and when does a ring start and end? Testing the ring-species hypothesis in a species complex of Australian parrots. Proceedings of Biological Sciences 275(1650): 2431–2440.
- Pestell ,A. J. L., Cooper S. J. B., Saint, K. M., and Petit, S. (2008). Genetic structure of the western pygmy possum, Cercartetus concinnus Gould (Marsupialia: Burramyidae), of southern Australia. Australian Mammalogy 29: 191–200.
- Guzinski,, J., Saint K. M., Gardner M. G., Donnellan S. C., and Bull C. M. (2008) Development of microsatellite markers and analysis of their inheritance in the Australian reptile tick, Bothriocroton hydrosauri. Molecular Ecology Resources 8(2): 443–445.
- Cooper, S. J. B., Saint K. M., Taiti, S., Austin A. D., and Humphreys W.F. (2008). Subterranean archipelago: mitochondrial DNA phylogeography of stygobitic isopods (Oniscidea: Haloniscus) from the Yilgarn region of Western Australia. Invertebrate Systematics 22: 195–203.
- Cooper, ,S.J.B., Bradbury, J. H., Saint K. M., Leys, R., Austin A. D., and Humphreys W. F. (2007). Subterranean archipelago in the Australian arid zone: mitochondrial DNA phylogeography of amphipods from central Western Australia. Molecular Ecology 16(7): 1533–1544.
- Kawakami, T., Butlin, R. K., Adams, M.,, Saint, K., M., Paull, D. J., and Cooper, S. J. B. (2007). Differential gene flow of mitochondrial and nuclear DNA markers among chromosomal races of Australian morabine grasshoppers (Vandiemenella viatica species group). Molecular Ecology 16(23): 5044–5056.
- Butler, L. M., Centenere, M. M, Neufing, P. J., Buchanan, G., Choong, C. , Ricciardelli, C., Saint, K., Lee, M., Ochnik, A., Yang, M. Brown, M.P., and Tilley W.D. (2006). Suppression of androgen receptor signalling in prostate cancer cells by an inhibitory receptor variant. Molecular Endocrinology 20(5): 1009–1024.