Education Program Manager Public Engagement
+61 8 8207 7427
Leanne has worked in a variety of roles at the Museum in Research and Collections and most recently Public Engagement. She joined the Museum’s Evolutionary Biology Unit as a molecular biologist in 1996 to work on genetic studies of the stock structure of King George Whiting and Garfish. This research, part of a wider biological study, was in collaboration with the South Australian Research and Development Institute Aquatic Sciences and funded by the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation. Subsequently, Leanne has worked on numerous different grant-funded projects that have addressed many biological questions across a diverse range of species. In 2011 she was appointed the role managing the Australian Biological Tissue Collection and in 2017 won the role of Education Program Manager.
Education Program Manager
Leanne brings experience as a specialist science teacher in primary schools to help her design and deliver Museum learning programs for both students and teachers. She is currently reviewing all exsiting resources and and developing new programs. More information on learning at the Museum can be found in the Learn pages.
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Med Lab Sci) (Hons)
- Graduate Diploma of Teaching and Learning
Education at the SA Museum.
- Donnellan, S. C., Anstis, M., Price, L. C., and Wheaton, L. (2012). A new species of Crinia (Anura: Myobatrachidae) from the Flinders Ranges, South Australia. Zootaxa 3499: 1–26.
- Donnellan, S. C., Couper, P. J., Saint, K. M., and Wheaton, L. (2009). Systematics of the Carlia 'fusca' complex (Reptilia: Scincidae) from northern Australia. Zootaxa 2227: 1–31.
- Wheaton, L., Donnellan, S. C., Gardner, M. G., and Hollis, G. J. (2008). Isolation of polymorphic tri‐and tetranucleotide microsatellite loci for the highly endangered Baw Baw frog (Philoria frosti). Molecular Ecology Resources 8:3: 593–595.
- Wheaton, L., Donnellan, S. C., Vries, M. C., Gardner, M. G., and Gillanders, B. M. (2007). Isolation of additional polymorphic tri‐and tetranucleotide microsatellite loci for the giant Australian cuttlefish (Sepia apama). Molecular Ecology Notes 7:5: 893–895.
- Wheaton (nee Haigh), L., and Donnellan, S. C. (2000). Characterization of microsatellite loci in King George Whiting Sillaginodes punctata Cuvier and Valenciennes (Percoidei: Sillaginidae). Molecular Ecology 9:12: 2213–2215.