Established: June 1926
The Anthropological Society of South Australia was established in June 1926. Its founding members included Dr R Pulleine (President) Prof F Wood Jones, Dr TD Campbell and CP Mountford (committee members) and NB Tindale (Secretary). Many other individuals who later became prominent in the study of South Australian and Australian archaeology and anthropology were also members of the Society in the 1920s and 1930s. The aims of the Society were the study of the Australian Aboriginal people and to encourage the collection of information on their habits and customs. The Anthropological Society's collection in the South Australian Museum comprises ethnographic data compiled by members from questionnaires and other sources, reports, notes and other documentary material collected in the 1920s.