This item contains the following documents:
- Photocopy of handwritten biographical notes about Johnson. The notes appear to have been prepared soon after his death on 19 October 1983. Two pages. Undated.
- Handwritten note addressed to June Scrymgour discussing the Coroner's Sergeant's advice relating to action to be taken with Johnson's effects. Author unknown. Undated.
- Statement on South Australian Museum letterhead, signed by LR Barrington of the South Australian Coroner's Office, acknowledging receipt of documents relating to Johnson's personal finances.One page. 27 October 1983.
- Copy of a typewritten letter from June Scrymgour (SAMA 897), Honorary Curator of Geoscience Data at the South Australian Museum, to Mr and Mrs L Smith, notifying them of Johnson's death. 27 October 1983. One page.
- Copy of a typewritten letter from June Scrymgour, Honorary Curator of Geoscience Data at the South Australian Museum, to Mr Ivan Mumme of the Lucas Heights Research Laboratory, New South Wales, notifying him of Johnson's death. 27 October 1983. One page.
- One page torn from a spiral bound notebook (measuring approximately 7.5x12 cm) bearing a handwritten note with the name and telephone number of Johnson's landlady. A further handwritten annotation reads 'advised' (presumably of Johnson's death). Undated. One page.
- Telephone message filled out by 'Joan', recording a telephone call from the Public Trustee's office for June Scrymgour. 31 October 1983. One page.
- Photocopy of a computer printout entitled 'Department of Mines – Bibliography Index' and listing articles and reports that Johnson authored or co-authored. 1 November 1983. Fourteen A3 sized pages.
- 'Minutes of Extraordinary Council Meeting of the Mineralogical Society of South Australia', discussing the establishment of the JE Johnson Memorial Trust. 1 November 1983. One page.
- One page extract from The Advertiser newspaper, containing Johnson's death notice, plus two A4 sized photocopies of the summary of death notices from the same edition. 2 November 1983. Three pages.
- Typewritten article entitled 'Vale JF [sic] Johnson (1917-1983)', written by Elizabeth Maud McBriar. 3 November 1983. One page.
- Typewritten article entitled 'Vale James Eric Johnson', consisting of a summary of Johnson's life and work. The author is unknown but a small handwritten annotation at the end of the article reads 'R Major'. Undated. One page (double-sided).
- Typewritten transcript of a speech given by Bob Major at Johnson's cremation service at Centennial Park Cemetery, Adelaide, South Australia. Attached to the transcript is a photocopied extract of 'The Last Review', a poem by Henry Lawson that was read at the cremation service. Author unknown. 4 November 1983. Five pages (double-sided).
- Typewritten document consisting of a partial list of friends & relatives of Jim Johnson present at the cremation of his body at Sir John McLeay Chapel, Centennial Park Cemetery on Friday, 4 November 1983. One page.
- Handwritten list of associates and relatives of Johnson who were present at his cremation service. Undated. One page.
- Letter from AJ Waldie, of Pengelley & Knabe Funeral Directors, to June Scrymgour of the South Australian Museum, confirming that a book placed on the coffin at Johnson's funeral was cremated with the coffin as planned. Undated. One page.
- Typewritten document entitled 'JE Johnson - A Biography and Bibliography', written by GM Horr. The document is undated but is thought to have been prepared soon after Johnson's death. Eight pages. Three copies.
- Copy of typewritten document entitled 'In Memory of Jim Johnson', by Michael P Vort-Ronald. 7 November 1983. 3 pages.
- Invitation to friends of Johnson to attend the unveiling of a memorial plaque arranged by the Mineralogical Society of South Australia. Undated. One page.
- Copy of typewritten letter from June Scrymgour of the South Australian Museum to Bob Major of the South Australian Department of Mines and Energy, enclosing a copy of an article about Johnson prepared for the Adelaide Gem and Mineral Club by Michael Vort-Ronald. 9 November 1983. One page.
- Handwritten note written by Sylvia Nicholas and Joseph Nicholas, Johnson's cousin, thanking staff of the South Australian Museum and South Australian Department of Minerals and Energy for arranging and officiating at Johnson's cremation service. 26 November 1983. One page.
- Three copies of Mineralogical News, Journal of the Mineralogical Society of South Australia, Volume 3, Number 10, containing a number of articles written in response Johnson's death, and including three articles written by Johnson in the 1950s. November – December 1983.
- Handwritten note, mounted on cardboard, from John Drescel, South Australian Department of Minerals and Energy, to June Scrymgour of the South Australian Museum, discussing possible publication of a photograph of Johnson in Mineral Industry Quarterly. Undated.
- Photocopy of page 29 from Mineral Industry Quarterly, No. 32, entitled People In The Industry and containing mention of Johnson's death. December 1983. One page. Two copies.
- Typewritten letter from PJ Cooling, Coroner's Constable, to the Director of the South Australian Museum (SAM), discussing the estate of Jim Johnson and the housing of his mineral collection at SAM. 12 January 1984. One page.
- Typewritten letter from Bob Major, South Australian Department of Minerals and Energy, to June Scrymgour of the South Australian Museum, containing a list of departmental files with references to Johnson's mineralogical activities and record of service, and enclosing a copy of the eulogy read by Major at Johnson's cremation service. 25 January 1984. One page.
- Bulletin of the Field Geology Club of South Australia (Incorporated), Volume 13, Number 1, containing an article noting Johnson's death. December 1983-January 1984. Six pages.
- Handwritten letter from Sylvia Nicholas to June Scrymgour at the South Australian Museum, thanking her on behalf of Johnson's relatives for providing them with a copy of Johnson's Catalogue of South Australian Minerals. 28 March 1984. One page.
- Typewritten letter from June Scrymgour, Honorary Curator of Geoscience Data at the South Australian Museum, to Bill Birch, Curator of Minerals at the Museum of Victoria, discussing Johnson's bibliography. 9 August 1984. One page.
- Handwritten letter from Tom Moore to 'Barrie' discussing slides depicting Johnson on a mineralogical excursion. 11 Aug 1984. One page.
- Small card (measuring approximately 10x7 cm) announcing the inaugural JE Johnson Memorial Lecture, on 16 October 1984 at the University of Adelaide, presented by the Mineralogical Society of South Australia. Undated.
- Tyewritten letter from Patrick Murphy, Publicity Officer for the Gemboree 1986 Committee, to Cyril Kovac, Editor of The Australian Mineralogist, discussing the introduction of the Jim Johnson Perpetual Trophy. 4 November 1984. Three pages.
- Typewritten letter from Gerhard Hoerr to Patrick Murphy of the Gemboree 1986 Committee discussing the republication of a biography of Johnson in the Gemboree 1986 Information Booklet. 7 January 1985. One page.
- Partial copy of the Gemboree 1986 (the 22nd National Gem and Mineral Show) Information Booklet, containing a biography of James Johnson and the announcement of the Jim Johnson Perpetual Trophy. 28-31 March 1986. Five pages (double-sided).
- Notice of Fourth Annual JE Johnson Memorial Lecture, scheduled for 18 October 1988 and presented by The Mineralogical Society of South Australia Incorporated. Undated. One page.
Creator: Johnson, James Eric
Control: AA 159/3/4
correspondence, articles, notes
Formats: General Correspondence, Loose Notes