The journal has been handwritten with annotations. Journal entries are on the right-hand page leaving the left for annotations, drawings etc. The volume includes a contents list and 104 pages are blank as well as a photocopy of pages 50-51 and 61-66.
This journal includes the following:
- a black and white photograph of Tindale taken by the 'Sunday Mail'
- sketches of specimens and documentation
- tape transcriptions of the trip
- site sketches
- newspaper clippings and copies
- extract from the 'The Western Australian Naturalist' dated 1962 entitled: 'An Aboriginal Site of Wiluna'
- 'A Visit with Archaeologist Norman Tindale' in the 'Bedrock Bulletin Archaeology News' dated 1986
- 'Comparing Desert History by Soil Nutrient Profiles' by R Buckley in 'Search' dated 1986
- Thomas Draper Campbell (see AA 52) and Charles Pearcy Mountford's (see AA 228) reprint 'Aboriginal Arrangements of Stones in Central Australia' dated 1939
- rough notes
- Reginald Claude Spriggs's black and white photographs
- a copy of first two pages of Tindale's 'Stone Structures among the Australian Aborigines'
- Tindale's 1934 notes on the 'Native Route across the Arunta Desert'
The expedition which is the main subject of this journal, was that undertaken by air to Site T19 in the Simpson Desert (originally discovered by Reg Sprigg). This archaeological reconnaissance expedition took place from 11 to 14 October 1962.
Tindale Tribes: Aranda; Pitjandjara; Wongkanguru.
Creator: Dr Norman Barnett Tindale
Control: AA 338/1/24
10 October, 1962
14 October, 1962
hardcover exercise book, 21.0x25.0 cm, 188 pages with 4 inserts, 38 loose items
Formats: Newspaper Clippings, General Correspondence, Loose Photographic Prints, Photocopied Documents, Sketches, Loose Notes