Two black and white copies of maps received by Tindale from Leith MacGillivray in 1981. The first is a photocopy of untitled draft annotated map showing a portion of an area surveyed by South Australia and New South Wales (now Victoria) boundary surveyors in 1848. It relates to MacGillivray's research on European settlement in the South East. Includes 'Tattiara Country' in the north to Glenelg River in south. MacGillivray added data to the 1848 map, including letters which refer to names of occupation licencees in the Southeast (e.g. 'A' = Armitage). Reference to original map is '1848 compiled from C130 exhibit 46', South Australian Archives (now State Records of South Australia: GRG35).
The second is a copy of the original 1848 map cited above. Map was found in Tindale's filing cabinet ('Private Research Notes - Anthropology') in folder 338/14/264, 'Map of SE of SA Tanganekald data'. Notes by Tindale on both maps refer to letters exchanged with MacGillivray, including a list of Aboriginal place names recorded by the 1848 boundary surveyors which he identified and interpreted (see journal AA338/1/53/7, pp. 327, 329 and 351; also 'Anthropology letters', 1981, vol. 2, 27 Sept. 1981). Scale 7 cm = 15 miles.
See also PhD thesis by Dr Leith G MacGillivray, 'Land and People: European Land Settlement in the South East of South Australia, 1840-1940' (copy held at State Library of South Australia).
This item contains references to: South Australia.