This series includes photographs by Weathersbee of Aboriginal sites that he investigated in South Australia, Northern Territory and New South Wales, and other historical and ethnographic photographs. The series is housed in two photo albums.
Album 1 includes the following items:
- Aboriginal sites including Nangari (near Port Augusta, SA), Moana (SA), Mount Burr (SA), Dulkaninna (SA), Blaze's Well (SA) and Mount Poole Station (NSW). Thirty-two black and white (b/w) prints, 9x9 cm. Archaeological excavations at Mount Burr. 1963. Thirteen b/w prints, 16x12 cm. Ketchowla and Mount Poole Station. Four b/w prints, 13x9 cm. These photographs are from an envelope captioned 'Various Aboriginal campsites B&W prints'.
- Devon Downs (SA). These photographs are from a Kodak envelope labelled 'B&W negatives and prints, Fromm's Landing/Devon Downs Rock Shelter'. Eleven b/w prints, 9x9 cm; negatives.
- Unidentified rock art site, plus negatives. These photographs are from a Kodak envelope labelled 'Cave paintings, Easter 1975'. Twelvecolour prints, 13x9 cm.
- Moana, fossil bones near Port Augusta (?) and Plumbago Station (SA). These photographs are from a Kodak envelope labelled 'Colour prints and negatives, Plumbago, Port Augusta, Moana, National Park - Easter 1974'. Eighteen colour prints, 13x9 cm; negatives.
- Archaeological survey of the Monarto (SA) area. 1974. These photographs are from a Kodak envelope labelled 'B&W prints & negs, Monarto Survey'. Twenty-three b/w prints, 13x9 cm; negatives
- Cave paintings at Martin's Well (Flinders Ranges, SA).These photographs are from a Kodak envelope labelled 'Cave paintings, Martin's Well, PA Easter 1975'. Eleven colour prints; negatives.
- Campsites in the Port Augusta area and a possible Aboriginal stone arrangement. These photographs are from a Kodak envelope labelled 'B&W prints and negs, stone arrangement and campsites - Port Augusta'. Twenty-nine b/w prints, 13x9 cm; negatives.
- Archaeological excavation at Waldeila, an Aboriginal campsite near McLaren Vale (SA). These photographs are from two Kodak envelopes labelled 'B & W Prints & Negs, Waldeila site'. Twenty-eight b/w prints, 13x9 cm; duplicates; negatives.
- CP Mountford's (see AA 228) birthday party in 1973 and Mountford at Glacier Rock, near Inman Valley (SA). These photographs are from an envelope labelled 'Photographs, Monty's party'. Forty-five b/w prints; eight colour prints.
This album also includes some b/w historical photographs, including the following items:
- Aboriginal men fishing at 'Port Victor' (Victor Harbor, SA). One of the men is believed to be Harry Hewitt, a well-known Ngarrindjeri man of the late 19th-early 20th centuries.
- Group of Aboriginal women and children at Point McLeay (SA).
- Two Aboriginal men (including Harry Hewitt?) playing cricket on a beach.
- Photographs by George Aiston (see AA 3) taken at Mulka, Cordillo Downs, Mungerannie (SA) and other locations, and some photographs of 'Dieri' men and women.
- Photographs of Victor Dumas' camel team. Dumas was a dogger in the north-west of South Australia in the 1930s.
- Photograph of Aboriginal men and women at a camp in Port Augusta. c1890-1900.
- Photograph of camels being unloaded at Port Augusta wharf.
Note that the two b/w photos of Aboriginal men fishing at Port Victor were presented to the Anthropology Archives by Weathersbee on 30 September 1968. The photographs were originally accessioned as AA 362/1 and related correspondence between Robert Edwards (see AA 83) and Weathersbee was accessioned as AA 362/2 and AA 362/3. The correspondence has now been placed in AA 362/4.
Album 2 includes the following items:
- Excavation of Aboriginal skeleton at Pompoota, River Murray (SA). Forty b/w prints, 13x9 cm; negatives.
- Landscape scenes, Aboriginal campsites, stone arrangements and quarries in Dulkaninna area (SA). 1968. Thirty-one colour slides.
- Dulkaninna. 1972. 20 colour slides.
- Aldinga Scrub, Yallum Station homestead (south-east SA) and archaeological excavations at Lake Robe. 1969. Twenty-eight colour slides.
- Bark paintings from Maningrida (NT). Twenty colour slides.
- Aboriginal campsite at Waldeila, near McLaren Vale. Eighteen colour slides.
- Aboriginal site near Morphett Vale (SA) after bulldozing, and some landscape scenes near Port Augusta. 1969. Fourteen colour slides.
- Coorong and south-east of South Australia. 1970. Eleven colour slides.
- Maningrida (NT). 1969. Twelve colour slides.
- Japanese landscape scenes, cities. Twenty-five colour slides.
This item includes:
- A roll of 8mm movie-film labelled 'Mt Chambers Gorge, Wilpena Pound (SA) from air, June 1966'.
This series includes references to the following regions of South Australia: Adelaide - Mount Lofty Ranges; South East; River Murray - Coorong; Flinders Ranges; Central East; North Central; North East.
This series includes references to: New South Wales; Northern Territory.
This series includes references to the following named groups: Dieri.
Corresponding Tindale Tribes: Dieri.
Corresponding AIATSIS Language Groups: Dieri.
Creator: Rodney Douglas James Weathersbee
Control: AA 362/3/1-4
Formats: Photographic Film Negatives, Loose Photographic Prints