This journal is hand written and contains a contents list but no index.
This journal includes:
- black and white photographs
- drawings and diagrams
- newspaper clippings
- Wirangu and Kukata vocabularies (approximately 56 and 20 words respectively)
- place names
- kinship terms
- notes on string games, kukuru game, other cultural activities
- notes on songs recorded by Edward Harold Davies (see AA 70)
- records of expenditure
- data on a 1927 trip to Port Lincoln
- photocopied data including 'C Strehlow's (see AA 315) arrangement of West Coast tribes, 1920'
- tribal distribution data compiled from historical sources
- Two fragile genealogy sheets inserted at the back of volume were photocopied by Tindale. These and other photocopies (probably of loose originals since dissociated from this volume) were slipped into the volume by Tindale
- Thirteen loose original photographs depicting Aboriginal informants and guides for RT Maurice (see AA 212) are inserted at the back of the volume. These are annotated by Tindale.
See journal AA 338/1/30 for a compilation of Wirangu and Kukata vocabularies collected by Tindale.
The expedition party included: Sir John Burton Cleland (leader, see AA 60), Professor Edward Harold Davies (song recorder, see AA 70), HH Woollard (physical anthropologist), AK Macbeth (physical anthropologist), Dr Robert Henry Pulleine, Dr Thomas Draper Campbell (University of Adelaide, see AA 52), A Moore (University of Adelaide), Pastor C Hoff (Koonibba) and Norman Barnett Tindale (ethnology, South Australian Museum)
Tindale Tribes: Kokata; Mirning; Nauo; Nukunu; Pangkala; Wirangu.
Creator: Dr Norman Barnett Tindale
Control: AA 338/1/5
10 June, 1926
28 August, 1928
buckram bound volume, 21.8x28.0 cm, 134 pages, 1 insert, 16 loose items
Formats: Newspaper Clippings, General Correspondence, Maps, Loose Photographic Prints, Photocopied Documents, Drawings