This journal is hand written in ink and contains a contents page. The last 87 pages have been left blank for an index ('not yet prepared'). On page 175 Tindale added 'subsequent data' and a note regarding correspondence.
The volume includes the following:
- a copy of Henry Kenneth Fry's (see AA 105) 'Arunta Class System' diagram
- Tindale's geological strata diagrams, diagrams of stone arrangements, artefacts and hand-drawn maps of the expedition locale
- series of 129 photographs (mainly Tindale's) of food-gathering, play, ceremony and portraits
- newspaper clippings
- Fry's notes on Aboriginal astronomy
- Aboriginal place names
- anthropometric data by John Hugo Gray (see AA 111) on the Iliaura
- 24 Iliaura songs
- 'Vocabulary data for Iliaura Tribe', approximately 180 words, including notes on sign language
- stratigraphic analysis
- notes by Miss Jess and CO Chalmers which include vocabulary and a photocopy of a photograph from the Barrington Collection depicting Alpalaita (witjuti) of Atnoala Lilatara, MacDonald Downs
- a fragile folded map of the region traversed by the expedition is included at the back of the volume
For an additional volume of song transcriptions recorded during this expedition, see AA 338/2/23. Iliaura vocabulary is also found at AA 338/8/16.
The expedition party included Dr Thomas Draper Campbell (leader, see AA 52), Mr John Hugo Gray (Physical Anthropology, Pathology), Dr Henry Kenneth Fry, Mr Herbert Mathew Hale (see AA 124), Professor Thomas Harvey Johnston (assistant to Cleland, Botany, Zoology see AA 161), Professor John Burton Cleland (see AA 60), Mr Edward Harold Davies (songs and sound recordings, see AA 70) and Mr Norman Barnett Tindale (ethnology).
Tindale Tribes: Aranda; Iliaura.
Creator: Dr Norman Barnett Tindale
Control: AA 338/1/6
17 August, 1930
11 September, 1930
buckram bound volume, 21.5x26.5 cm, 272 pages with inserts
Formats: Newspaper Clippings, Maps, Loose Photographic Prints, Photocopied Documents, Drawings, Sketches, Tables of data