Location: Sandover, Bundey, Ooratippra, and Fraser creeks; Mount Swan, northern face of Hart Range, Plenty River north and west of Ilbala, Jervois Range, Mount Playford, Elkedra River; at MacDonald Downs and Huckitta. Yallop (1969) has adopted the northern pronunciation of their name (Aljawara), not the one used by the principal hordes studied in 1930. There has been a northward shift since that date, as detailed by Yallop. The boundaries shown here are as of the time of first contacts. The 16 mm films of the University of Adelaide Anthropological Expedition of 1930 shows these people at Macdonald Downs.
Co-ordinates: 135°30'E x 21°55'S
Area: 17,800 sq. m. (46,300 sq. km.)
References: Spencer and Gillen, 1899; Mathews, 1900 (Gr. 6575), Eylmann, 1908; C. Strehlow, 1910; Brown, 1911; Basedow, 1925; Tindale, 1930 MS, 1932, 1940, 1951 MS, 1953 MS, 1963 MS; T. G. H. Strehlow, 1947; R. Underhill, 1953 MS; Meggitt, 1961; Yallop, 1969; Tindale and George, 1971.
Alternative Names: Il(l)iaura, Iljauara, Iljawara, Ilyauarra, Ilyowra, Illyowra, Illura (spelling in 1953 Northern Territory official document), Aliwara (Kaititj name), Aliawara, Aljawara (a Kaititj pronunciation), Alyawara, Ilawara (Ngalia term), Iliama (typographical error), Jaljuwara (western tribal pronunciation), Yalyuwara.