In this journal pages 504 and 505 appear after pages 506-507. The journal is handwritten on the right-hand page leaving the left-hand page for annotations, drawings and so on.The journal contains a contents list. Tindale's incomplete index is in a separate volume (see AA 338/3/1.
In the first ten introductory pages of this journal Tindale includes the following:
- blood group data
- a 1934 magazine extract relating to the Musgrave Ranges
- a handwritten note relating to corrections made to the journal in 1957
- a newspaper clipping relating to Ernabella and Mr Carruthers (surveyor)
- bibliographic note relating to the Mann Range expedition
- a newspaper clipping relating to the donation of the Carruthers' diaries to the South Australian Archives
- permit to enter the Aboriginal Reserve
- newspaper clippings relating to the expedition
The Mann and Musgrave Ranges expedition is covered from page 1-662. Pages 663-746 document details of the 'Adelaide University and Museum Anthropometric Expedition to Ernabella, 6-24 August 1933'.
This journal includes the following:
- specimen notes
- hand-drawn maps
- numerous song transcriptions
- black and white photographs
- a typescript note by Cecil John Hackett (see AA 122)
Of linguistic interest are the text 'Wapara Kanjala' (with English translation) and the many songs, vocabulary items and place names littering the text. Note that the main vocabulary collected during this expedition has been accessioned as AA 338/8/2.
The expedition party included Dr Cecil John Hackett (University of Adelaide, see AA 122), Mr Norman Barnett Tindale (South Australian Museum) and Mr Allan Ferguson Brumbie [Brumby, cameleer, see AA 42). They were joined by other Board members on August 6th, including: Prof. John Burton Cleland (see AA 60), Prof. Thomas Harvey Johnston (see AA 161), Prof. Cedric Stanton Hicks, Mr James Hugo Gray (see AA 111), Mr Herbert Mathew Hale (see AA 124), Dr Henry Kenneth Fry (see AA 105), Mr Max Lamshed (journalist) and Mr J O'Connor (Hicks' assistant).
Tindale Tribes: Jangkundjara; Pitjandjara.
Creator: Dr Norman Barnett Tindale
Control: AA 338/1/9
17 May, 1933
24 August, 1933
buckram bound volume, 18x21.5 cm, 756 pages and 3 inserts
Formats: Newspaper Clippings, Newspaper Clippings, General Correspondence, Loose Photographic Prints, Drawings, Numeric Data, Loose Notes, Diagrams