Supplementary to journal: 'Entomology and General Field Trips by Norman B Tindale. 1964-1965. Adelaide, S. Australia', AA 338/1/43/3 and 'Journal of Visit to the North West of South Australia in February 1966 by Norman B. Tindale. 1966'. AA 338/1/22/2
This series contains restricted material.
This item consists of 8 magnetic tapes considered by Norman B Tindale to be part of his 'personal and study series' of tapes. They arrived at the South Australian Museum after his death in 1993. The reels were originally stored in two shoeboxes labelled: 'Rawlinson Ra. 1963; Mt Davies 1963; W Musgrave Ra. 1966' and 'Yalata; Kokata at Gerard'. The two sets of tapes have been condensed into one shoebox by the archive after the removal of a number of duplicate tapes.
Note that the Yalata tapes listed below were recorded during two trips to Yalata in 1964 and 1965. For further details see Tindale's journal 'Entomology and General Field Trips by Norman B. Tindale 1964-1965' (AA 338/1/43/3, pp. 25-271 and pp. 499-669) and the Yalata tapes listed at AA 338/11/28/1-10 and 338/11/29/1-2.
The tapes recorded in the Musgrave Ranges are supplementary to the 'Journal of Visit to the North West of South Australia in February 1966 by Norman B. Tindale. 1966' (AA 338/1/22/2). See also the associated magentic tapes located at AA 338/11/30/1-3.
Most of the tapes were recorded by Tindale, although one is credited to John Greenway. Greenway apparently made other recordings that are not held by the South Australian Museum.
Tapes accessioned AA 338/11/33/1-4 have not been transferred to digital format.
The following contents descriptions are drawn from annotations in Tindale's hand on the tape boxes:
- 'Yalata Mission 22 Oct. 1964. Onandu (Charlie Tunkin) Kalaia tjukurupa (emu totem songs), Ngalea Tr.; 2nd side 29 Oct 64 Inma Njiri from Norseman', 1 x 3 inch reel
- 'Yalata, SA, 13 Oct. 1965. Mala tjukurupa inma laka of place Malaputa NW of Ooldea, sung by Tjinakokadi (Bobbie Minn), 5 songs in series; 15 Oct 1965. Inma Walpurdi (banded anteater totem) song series of Jurata, 1 x 4 inch reel
- Yalata SA, 21 Oct. 1965: 'Spoken & sung version of the Inma Walpurdi as spoken & sung by Waŋin in Antakerinja', 1 x 4 inch reel
- Yalata, 22 Oct. 1965: 'Walawuru (eagle) tjukurupa song cycle of Njumunŋa ŋalea tribe sung by Modoko (Bobby Jones), spoken comments are by Wilja:di or Harry Wilja' [b. N of Ooldea, SA], 1 x 4 inch reel
- 'Inma laka of Anumara (aeilephili [?] larva) tjukur. Recorded between 2 am & daylight on 9 Feb. 1966 at Musgrave Park. J Greenway recorder', 1 x 3 inch reel
[CD 5. Tracks 1-3]
- 'N B Tindale series: No.25 Bore, W Musgrave Range, SA, 19 Feb. 1966. Women's songs 2 sides; 2nd side's chiefly Mission songs (including 'Away in the Manager') from Ernabella. Nakako tribe singers', 1 x 3 inch reel
The women's songs are restricted
[CD 6. Tracks 1-8]
- 'No.25 Bore, 21 Feb.1966. Keibara [bush turkey] Tjukurupa songs', 1 x 3 inch reel
[CD 7. Tracks 1-3]
- 'No.25 Bore Western Musgraves. Story of Malu (kangaroo) and tjuruki (owl) in the Petermann Ranges, ending with a list of places in the story', 1 x 3 inch reel
[CD 8. Track 1]
Tindale Tribes: Pitjandjara; Antakirinja; Nakako.
Creator: Dr Norman Barnett Tindale
Control: AA 338/11/33/Tapes 1-8, CDs 5-8
x shoebox containing 8 x magnetic tape reels, 4 access CDs