This journal has been handwritten with annotations. Journal entries are on the right-hand page leaving the left for annotations, drawings, etc. The expedition was from 22 April - 13 June 1960 (pages 7-367), preceded by planning and research (pages 1-7) and followed by further research (pages 368-447). The journal contains a contents list and a detailed index (pages 451-493).
This journal includes the following:
- a photocopy of a 'Report on Matters Discussed at Village Council Meeting, Mornington Island - 8.2.1980 by Paul Memmott'
- a photocopy of Paul Memmott's 'Lardil Properties of Place'
- copy of a newspaper clipping of 'The Gulf of Carpentaria, A new native Tribe Discovered, Interview with Mr C Hedley'
- newspaper clippings
- sketches of specimens and documentation
- place names
- a copy of Tindale's manuscript on blood grouping results
- copies of project reports
- copies of Dr Spalding's 1947 black and white photographs and medical report
- copy of a Science of Man article 'A new native tribe discovered', dated 1903
- a listing of Tindale's plant specimens by the Botanic Gardens
Vocabulary and grammatical notes relating to this expedition are found in Tindale's 'Queensland Vocabularies, 1960 - 63' (see AA 338/8/19). Note also that Lardiil words and phrases in particular are scattered through the text of the expedition journal.
The expedition party included Peter Aitken and Norman Barnett Tindale.
Tindale Tribes: Janggal; Jokula; Kaiadilt; Kalkadunga; Kukatja (NT); Lardiil; Maikudunu; Maithakari; Mingin; Wanji; Wikmunkan; Winduwinda; Kalkadunga.
Creator: Dr Norman Barnett Tindale
Control: AA 338/1/23
22 April, 1960
13 June, 1960
buckram bound journal, 21.5x26.8cm, 508 pages with 3 loose items and 5 inserts
Formats: Published Papers or Articles, Newspaper Clippings, General Correspondence, Maps, Loose Photographic Prints, Photocopied Documents, Sketches, Loose Notes, Indexes