This volume consists of data compiled and drafted by Tindale for publication in 1928. His 'Preliminary Comment' explains why this was not proceeded with and acknowledges Robert Limb, Charles Sullivan, Pastor C Hoff and Daisy Bates (see AA 23).
This manuscript includes the following:
- original and carbon copy typescript with handwriting and annotations
- loose notes
- black and white photograph
- copies of extracts from other journals. Headings include, 'tribes, localities, initiation, numerals, compass points, wad, water bearing trees, food, totemic system, Wirrangu relationship terms, avoidance by relatives, playstick, songs, burial'
- a 14 page vocabulary of the Wirrangu and Kokata languages is included (compiled from various sources, see AA 338/8/14 'Vocabulary of the Wirrangu and Kukata languages' for further details)
- a list of 'literature relating to the bibliography of the West Coast tribes'
- Tindale's 'lecture outline'
- genealogies of Yabinya and Bilili from the Wirrangu
- photocopy of a letter to Tindale by Bill Graham relating to the East-West Telegraph Line research with an attached vocabulary of the Eucla tribe by J Lawrence dated 1945 (approximately 180 words)
- A pocket at the back of the volume contains vocabulary entries on small pieces of paper, an original note regarding the 'murrajah' pointing bone, by FH Wells, 1 July, 1896, a photocopy of Anthony Gladstone Bolam's (AA 640) notes and map of the tribes around the Ooldea District
A string game called 'ngura' from Koonibba dated 1928 has been removed and placed in the Anthropological collection.
Tindale Tribes: Jangkundjara; Kaurna; Kokata; Mirning; Nauo; Nukunu; Pangkala; Wirangu.
Creator: Dr Norman Barnett Tindale
Control: AA 338/1/30
01 July, 1896
31 October, 1983
red hard cover exercise book, 21.7x28.1 cm, 62 single sided pages and a pocket with 68 loose items
Formats: General Correspondence, Maps, Loose Photographic Prints, Photocopied Documents, Loose Notes