This is the third of four volumes. This volume indexes Volumes I and II (see 338/1/19/1-2) of the 'Anthropological Field Notes on the University of California at Los Angeles - University of Adelaide Anthropological Expedition, North West Australia, 1953'. The third page contains a copy of the 'List of Expeditions of Board for Anthropological Research, University of Adelaide'. Expeditions listed are from 'A', November 1925 to 'Y', 11-31 August 1956. The list includes expedition symbol, locality, leader, and period in the field. The index is 148 pages in total followed by 14 blank pages and appendices.
The following Appendices are included:
- Appendix A: 'Notes on the maps and Tribal details supplied by native informants 1953' (23 April - 25 August 1953), 74 pages. The maps in this appendix typically contain tribal distribution data and place names
- Appendix B: 'Notes from my rough day book some are not otherwise recorded. (where a line is drawn through, a digest or elaboration is to be found and given preference)', 1 December 1952 - August 1953, 146 pages. Contains a Njangamarda interlinear text with partial English translation
- Appendix C: 'Miscellaneous notes from page J. Epling, J. B. Birdsell (see AA 689) and B. S. Coaldrake' (see AA 61), April 1953 and 3 October 1954, 24 pages. Includes sketch maps of tribal distribution
- Appendix D: 'List of People Measured during UCLA and UA Anthropological Expedition 1952-1953 with references to pages in genealogies where their names appear', 42 pages
- Appendix E: 'later data which will help in writing up the Expedition', 1954, 1969, 1977, 1979, 1980 and 1982, 34 pages; and after a further 26 blank pages, Tindale includes a photocopy of a newpaper clipping, 1982, and a pocket of two loose items dated 1952 and 1954. This appendix also includes Kim Akerman's 'Map of White Hills area, shows Mangaii', correpondence from Kim Akerman, Jo Birdsell and Dick Kimber, Birdsell's notes, Ungarinjin Clan names and newspaper clippings
Vocabularies collected during this expedition are found in parallel in volume IV of the expedition journal and also inTindale's 'Australian Vocabularies gathered by Norman B Tindale, 1938-1963' (see AA 338/8/20).
The expedition party included Esther and Joseph Birdsell (Associate Professor of Anthropology, UCLA, see AA 689), Dorothy and Norman Tindale, and Phillip Jud Epling (University student, UCLA).
Tindale Tribes: Baada; Bailgu; Balardong; Djaru; Indjibandi; Inggarda; Jadira; Karadjari; Kariara; Kartudjara; Kitja; Koara; Kokatja; Konejandi; Kurama; Wanman; Mandjildjara; Mangala; Mardudunera; Miwa; Nana; Nangatara; Ngadadjara; Ngaluma; Ngardi; Ngarinjin; Ngarla; Ngolibardu; Niabali; Njamal; Njangamarda; Njikena; Noala; Ongkomi; Pandjima; Pitjandjara; Potidjara; Punaba; Tjuroro; Wanman; Wenambal; Worora.
Creator: Dr Norman Barnett Tindale
Control: AA 338/1/19/3
buckram bound volume, 23.0x26.4cm, 538 pages, 4 inserts and 2 loose items
Formats: Newspaper Clippings, General Correspondence, Maps, Photographic Film Negatives, Photocopied Documents, Drawings, Indexes