The journal consists of handwritten entries on the right-hand page, and annotations, drawings etc, on the left. The expedition took place from 15 March to 21 April 1966 (pages 3-245). Preparations are detailed on pages 1-3 and pages 246-54 are devoted to entries related to the expedition. There are 198 blank pages commencing from page 352. There is no contents list but the journal contains a detailed index (pages 255-349).
This journal includes the following:
- observations on tribal nomenclature and boundaries
- place names
- newspaper clippings
- two black and white photographs taken by Surgeon Frederick John Elliot during the Elder Scientific Exploration Expedition 1891-1892
- social organization data
- four damaged photographs of the 'dulgu' ceremony in Meekatharra district given to Tindale by William Hamlet Pindar
- copies of photographs received by Joseph Benjamin Birdsell (see AA 689)
- copy of a map courtesy of the Department of Geography, University of Western Australia dated 1965
- photocopied photographs of Cyclone Shirley dated 31 March 1966
The expedition party included John Greenway and Norman Barnett Tindale.
Tindale Tribes: Amangu; Aranda; Baada; Baijungu; Bailgu; Balardong; Baraparapa; Barimaia; Binigura; Buruna; Djiwali; Inawongga; Indjibandi; Inggarda; Jadira; Kalaako; Kalamaia; Kariara; Korenggoreng; Kurama; Madoitja; Maduwongga; Maia; Malgana; Malgaru; Mandi; Mardudunera; Mirning; Murunitja; Nakako; Nanda; Ngadadjara; Ngadjunmaia; Ngaluma; Ngarla; Ngarlawongga; Ngurlu; Niabali; Ninanu; Njakinjaki; Njamal; Njunga; Noala; Nokaan; Pandjima; Pibelmen; Pindiini; Pindjarup; Pini; Pitjandjara; Potidjara; Talandji; Targari; Tedei; Tenma; Tjalkadjara; Tjeraridjal; Tjuroro; Wadjari; Waljen; Wardal; Wariangga; Watiwati; Widi; Wirdinja.
Creator: Dr Norman Barnett Tindale
Control: AA 338/1/27
15 March, 1966
21 April, 1966
buckram bound volume, 22.0x26.4cm, 559 pages with 12 inserts and 4 loose items in an envelope
Formats: Newspaper Clippings, General Correspondence, Maps, Loose Photographic Prints, Photocopied Documents, Sketches, Indexes